Forum home Problem solving

Lynne Holmes

I have a Trachelospermum jasminoides and it’s been in the garden years on a west facing wall climbing up the pergola, it’s now June and it looks like it’s dying. The leaves are red and droopy. Looks like it could be dry but we have had quite a lot of rain in Devon. Any ideas? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,062
    I doubt whether much rain will get into that container ... all that foliage will act as an umbrella ... my bet is that it’s dry and possibly potbound too.  It needs buckets and buckets full of water to supply all that foliage. 
    Has it ever had any fresh compost?
    That container doesn’t really look large enough god a plant of that size. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,989
    Hello @lholmes67, welcome to the forum  :)
    I agree with the others,  if it's been in that container for years, it's probably exhausted both the container and the compost. As well as the leaves shielding the compost, it might also be in a rain shadow from the wall.
    Is it possible to plant in in the ground and also slightly out from the wall ? If not, a larger container and fresh compost might be the way to go.

• lholmes67lholmes67 Posts: 6
    Hi all, thanks - it’s been in the ground for years, I’ve fed it and watered it but looks bad. I’ve been away 5 days and it’s drooped a lot since then. The leaves turned red weeks ago and I thought oh well it’s got some new buds but all the old are falling. 
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Can you dig down into the soil a bit and see if it's dry underneath? Total collapse of a plant like that is usually water related and yours looks like it hasn't had enough... Or samahe to roots, that's the only other thing can have happened. 
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,989
    I wonder if last year's dry summer has anything to do with it ?
  • lholmes67lholmes67 Posts: 6
    Yes great- I’ll put some well rotted manure round it and give lots more water and see if it perks up. It was fine in the winter
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby HampshirePosts: 1,142
    One of mine (in the ground) did that last year and ultimately keeled over. It was directly adjacent to a sister bush that is still perfectly healthy. I put it down to being 'one of those things' that happen.