Forum home Fruit & veg

Onion advice please

13»

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,866
    My peas get pecked to bits by pigeons (and any remaining leaves go almost white due to miners) so I'm trying them in the gh this year for the first time this year, now I have some extra space.  Doesn't feel quite right though!  Funnily enough I do OK with sweet peppers in an unheated west-facing conservatory in central UK Nollie, so I wonder what we may be doing different?  I sow them in modules on a heated bench in early March then steadily pot-on to 3", 4" then 5" pots as their roots reach the sides.  Final pots are 11 litre.  I don't feed until the flowers appear then use a weak mix of comfrey tea (about half the strength I use on toms.)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,873
    Funny how one thing works for one and not another @BobTheGardener...

I suspect I plant my peppers out too soon and should let them get a bit bigger first. I raise them in my unheated poly and plant them out when they fill a 12cm pot. Shouldn't be a problem in my climate, but clearly something is holding them back and it might well be that.
  • TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057
    Nollie, you not the only one re peppers. I planted mine out in early june but they don't seem to have grown at all still only around 8 inches tall. Everything in the veg garden seems to have come to a stop apart from the runner beans their growing like triffids. Onions, pea's even the tomatoes aren't very tall although full of flowers they're not more than 2ft tall and should be taller. I don't have much in the veg garden but it is rather disappointing.

Onion's
    Beetroot
    Peas
    Tomatoes 
    Sweet corn
    Cabbage
    Turnips
    Runner beans
    Pepper in pots
    Lettuce in tubs to keep away from birds and slug

The Raspberries and Strawberries are producing well.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,873
    I think weird weather patterns are playing havoc with lots of things, NannaBoo, so it’s not necessarily you doing anything wrong. I have, in theory, the ideal climate for peppers, although maybe not warm enough earlier here in the north,  plus me being too impatient, probably!
  • TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057
    edited July 2019
    Nollie, I'm just in from the garden and it is HOT HOT HOT out there today with only a light breeze. I think because it's my first time of growing veg I'm thinking thing grow quicker than they do, so like you I'm impatient. We have had some lettuce and radish which were lovely and fresh the rest has been soft fruits which again is lovely. Trouble is I walk round the garden and pick and eat from the bush yum. Over the weekend we found a couple of recently dead rates and this morning a again a couple of recently dead mice, not sure if some has put down bait but I'm glad to see them gone.