Forum home Fruit & veg

Onion advice please

• Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    @Nollie I agree and personal never add extra fertiliser to the onion patch, NannaBoo mentioned it was virgin soil so potash helps with hardening and sweetens the onion stops them absorbing to much sulphur and becoming hot and sharp, I stop watering now the end of June and just let them get on with it by September they have normaly grown out and firmed up nicely.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057
    Ho No Hampshire_Hog, I've just watered mine as the kids over the back where chucking water over the fence so I thought I'd better make sure they had a good drink. I'll stop watering them from now.
    NannaBoo there are no hard and fast rules you just need to keep and eye on them what works best for my site may not be right for you and others may have different methods.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
    OK I'll see which do the best as I've missed water about 6 of them so will leave the as a tester. This veg growing is far harder than growing flowers but if you want the goods you have to put the work into it but the main thing is I'm more active and enjoying it. I have one pea pod at the moment but there's nothing much in it. We have had strawberries, blackcurrants and raspberries all from the garden along with lettuce and radish all on the table within 10 mins of picking lovely and fresh and no miles to travel.  
    So true and some things you will find will grow really well others not we cant grow peas in the ground at our allotment's no one really knows why they just wont grow.
    Yesterday we had our first tomatoes warm and fresh less than a minute from vine to mouth beautiful.

And so tasty I bet.

1Runnybeak1 It's good to no I'm not the only one with fat necked onions Onion virus didn't know about that will google and see what it says about it. Thanks 1Runnybeak1.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,896
    I will certainly remember not to add any fresh compost to my onion patch next year, normally I grow them in the worst soil, depleted by a greedy crop the year before. I do grow a naturally sweet local variety called Figueres, tho, which are great and easy onions to caramelise. As they won’t store, I guess OH will be making a lot of onion marmalade and sofrito (caramelised onion, tomato and garlic base for many local dishes) this year!

Thats odd about the peas, @Hampshire_Hog, can you grow broad beans ok?
    edited July 2019
    Nollie. Yes all the beans grow with no problem, it just seems to be garden peas, sweet peas are not a problem we have a beautiful lot this year.

If you do want peas you have to do it in grow-bags or a raised bed and then they have to be well protected because we have badgers and they just love the pea's and sweet corn :/ so I just don't bother with either.

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,896
    How weird, HH, since they normally like the same conditions. But in a similar vein, I grow good tomatoes and aubergines but the peppers are less successful. They just never get very big or very ripe, whatever the variety... despite ideal conditions and all the cosseting.