Forum home Problem solving

Lonicera periclymenum Serotina

I’m new here and have just planted a young Lonicera and the larger leaves are turning brown and/or look as if something is eating them. I leave near the coast and the soil is quite sandy. I did plant them into compost. I have been watering and I’m thinking am I fussing around this new plant too much 😕 Any help appreciated.

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    Hi and welcome.
    Do you have any photos?

A few questions so others can help.
    How recently did you plant it,  you say just, but that might mean yesterday or a few weeks ago.
    Was it totally healthy from the start in the pot?

Do you think you have over compensated and watered too much?

My guess is the hot dry weather we having, although we had some rain it has not been a lot especially if you have free draining soil. It might be that you have not watered enough.

If it has a poor root system and in the sun, it may be baking and not able to compensate so try giving it a little protective shade until the heatwave wears off.

Not sure how close to the coast you might be, I do not know if lonicera are fond of salty air, as we did have some rather windy weather recently, a young or new settling plant will get hit and stressed by these conditions.

So many questions , but something might give you a clue. Good Luck.
  • Jul1912Jul1912 Posts: 3
    Thanks Rubytoo 

I planted this a week ago. Bought it online from RHS and it looked fine when received.
    I have watered it on sunny days in the evening and we have also had a few rainy days so not every day and was fearful of over watering so maybe not enough? This replaced a climber previously in this spot. It is sunny/shady NE wall and further down in the shade I have a thriving climber. I’m a about a mile inland from the coast.
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    It does not look bad to me.
    A couple of the bigger older leaves are a bit tatty at the outer edge, but that is to be expected.
    Although some mildew starts off looking like a brown area on leaves.

It looks like you have planted and supported it well.
    And the new little shoots look healthy as far as I can tell.

Just look out for any grey looking mould/mildew (grey layer on stems or leaf).
    Water low down and don't splash the leaves.
    You can use a fungicide on it if you see any treat ing it early will help, they can be prone to it in dry weather.

Nice wall too by the way :)
  • Jul1912Jul1912 Posts: 3
    Thanks
    I nipped off the other tatty leaves as I noticed they were becoming like that 🤔 should I do that?
    I’ll keep checking to make sure there’s no mould/mildew over the next few days and treat as suggested thanks.
    Thanks the wall does look good unfortunately it’s not all like that it’s only because the rough cast fell off and I was planting this to cover it 🤷🏻‍♀️😂