Strawberry Leaves!!!

I treated my strawberries to a feed of farmyard manure in January and subsequently the plants have gone wild and the rows have turned into a dense clump! Do I need to cut back the foliage to expose the fruit to the sun or will the fruit ripen ok.

The fruit on the edge is the best it’s ever been!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,021
    Hi Gary. I often remove some foliage, as they can put on a lot of growth with the rain, but I think the problem you have could be too many plants in too small a space. How many plants are in there? 

The fruits should still ripen, but you could take off one or two leaves to expose the fruit on each plant.
    You'll probably need to thin out the plants after fruiting, and create another bed for them!
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• There there are 3 rows of 4 plants in there!!!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,021

You'd probably find half that would easily fill the space. They get quite big, as you've found  ;)
    Enjoy them anyway - you'll still get plenty of fruit, but you may also get some pests invading as it's hard to keep good airflow round the plants when they're tightly packed. If they get very congested, it would be worth taking a few out and putting them in pots if you don't have any other space.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 217
    looking good, strawberries do ripen faster in sun but they get all their energy from the leaves so strawberries can easily be hidden behind leaves which are their solar panels.
    I am actually quite impressed with your growth but considering it is that much growth from only 12 plants maybe it is focussing a bit too much on vegetation than fruit production. Even if that is the case you should get a bumper crop next year from all the growth put out this year. Watch out the new runners don't start rooting in that bed - it is a bit too crowded already. I would even remove 3 plants end of this season. Repot them elsewhere.