Forum home Problem solving

Is my new fence rotting?

hi 

ive recently had treated timber fencing installed , however I’ve noticed some streaks appearing on some of the fence panels, the actual streaks are getting darker and softer that you can poke somthing through it. Can anyone tell e what this could be? 

Thank you

• Buzz786Buzz786 Posts: 2
    This is what it looks like. What could it be ?
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    edited June 2019
    Unacceptable, but pretty standard for these days.

It looks like a natural splitting of the wood which often happens a resinous line, and , or a split or crack where the wood has been dried out too quickly.
    So much is kiln dried or not left to season properly.
    Also apparently fast grown timber is partly to blame.

Is that line a continuous one across the panel?
    When the planks are cut it will often it is automated so slices of affected wood go across the whole section.

Odd the lighter patches at the bottom above the horizontal rail across.

Always thoroughly inspect wood when buying.
    Apologies if they were relatively cheap ready made panels it is to be expected. But the suppliers might be persuaded to replace if it is across the whole run.

Edited to add . If they were expensive panels then a replacement is what I would be asking for.
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    I just finished putting up 20 meters myself. Even if heat treated, it won't be weatherproof. Once you paint it, all those corky imperfections will be sealed in and it won't rot. It you leave it as it is it probably will start rotting in those areas first. Heat treating just means you can paint it straight away without having to prepare the wood first, some people reckon it looks good but it's worth protecting it with some paint. You don't need to use fence paint. You can use outdoor wood paint and they come in millions of colours, cream, beige, grey etc.
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    tbh those imperfections were the least of my worry, what can be really frustrating is when you get some serious warping going on over a 3meter gravel board. Like 45 degree warping from one end to the other. From your post I take it you let the professional put up the fence - wise choice and I know painting is annoying, probably took me longer to paint it than to put it up!
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,596
    Sorry to be Mr Negative but that fence doesn't look to be done very well, it could be that I can't see the whole picture as the photos are close up but the vertical post looks too thin and the bottom cross rail isn't cut into the vertical post and is just nailed onto it. Disclaimer, I may be totally wrong so don't take my word as gospel and in no way am I implying that there is anything wrong with the fence or the way it has been erected.