Forum home Problem solving

Geums

Can anyone give me any tips on growing geums? I love them but fail dismally to keep them flowering. The plant comes back each year & looks healthy but after the initial few blooms, I get hardly any, despite dead heading & just end up with bare, spindly stems. 

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Me too.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,068
    I asked a question about pruning a little while ago and was advised to cut the stem to the base rather than deadhead. I only did it a few days ago so we'll see.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Thank you. Certainly worth a go!
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053
    Funnily enough I was thinking that myself this year. After the first flush they have done nothing. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,053
    They never did well for me so I use potentilla monarchs velvet and tonguei for a similar effect. 
    SW Scotland
  • I’ve cut mine right back to - hoping for a second bloom later in summer or autumn if lucky!
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    I find that after the first flowers I get fewer blooms but they keep going all summer.
  • Think I will cut them right back & see if I get a 2nd bloom. Worth a try. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,527
    I'm failing dismally with geums as well. Bought half a dozen last year, all orange ones, had about two flowers this year, very slow to get going. Been watered and manured which they are supposed to like. Not impressed. Saw fantastic ones in a GC centre yesterday, very tall and full of blooms!
  • Yes this is exactly what has happened to me. Very frustrating as I can't work out what I am doing wromg