Forum home Problem solving

Hooks to use with our storage box

Hi there,

I've been having a couple of issues trying to get things to hang up in our Keter storage box. I used various adhesive hooks including ones which are meant to be heavy duty from Wilko but after a few weeks of use they unstick, even with only a small amount of weight in them such as scissors or gloves.

Ideally I want to make use of the sidewalls as it's wasted storage space since most things fit well within the box and I need a place to store smaller items easily.

Pictures below...

Thanks!

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,706
    edited June 2019
    I assume you don't want to drill through it to fix something more permanent?
    Have you tried the Command brand of stick-on hooks?  I find them very good for indoors on walls, doors, tile etc but I haven't tried them outside or on plastic.
    Is there room to use over-door type hooks (this kind of thing) and still allow the lid to close?
  • Shoxt3rShoxt3r Posts: 188
    JennyJ said:
    I assume you don't want to drill through it to fix something more permanent?
    Have you tried the Command brand of stick-on hooks?  I find them very good for indoors on walls, doors, tile etc but I haven't tried them outside or on plastic.
    Is there room to use over-door type hooks (this kind of thing) and still allow the lid to close?
    The only thing with drilling is that it may let water in and damage our electric tools like lawnmower etc. I will give those hooks a go - unfortunately yes I've tried Command hooks but they still did the same thing.
  • TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057
    How about buying some hooks the size you want and some Garila glue. You put the glue onto whatever you want stuck and spray water on the get it to go off. I used some on a tile that wouldn't stay down now I can't take it up so only use it where you not going to want to remove it from.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,074
    Ikea does some sticky on hooks too. I don't know if they're any good though.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    NannaBoo said:
    How about buying some hooks the size you want and some Garila glue. You put the glue onto whatever you want stuck and spray water on the get it to go off. I used some on a tile that wouldn't stay down now I can't take it up so only use it where you not going to want to remove it from.
    Yeah I guess the best option would be glue to be honest - I didn't want anything permanent but then maybe that's the problem with everything I've tried so far, it's not meant to be permanent so it ends up falling off! haha.

If it really came to it I could scrape off the glue but I doubt I'd move anything anyway.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,074
    You could maybe attach a wire and hang little meat hook efforts off it.
    In London. Keen but lazy.

Shoxt3r The gorilla glue would be permanent you wouldn't be able to scrape it of at a later date.
    NannaBoo said:

Shoxt3r The gorilla glue would be permanent you wouldn't be able to scrape it of at a later date.
    Hmm does it effectively work like Airfix glue and weld the two materials together? Not used Gorilla glue before so forgive my ignorance!

Shoxt3r to be honest I've never use Airfix glue so can't say. I don't think it welds it, it just a very strong glue. I've just found mine and it say it bond Stone, Metal, Ceramic, Glass, Wood, Foam and more. I got it wrong you first spray whatever your gluing then you add the glue then you take it in place just to hold it while the glue goes off. If you don't fancy the Gorilla glue here's another for you. 

Tube-based epoxies and two-part epoxy putties are generally able to handle sticking metal to plastic. These types of adhesives take a while to cure and work better if the items are clamped together during the drying time. Some tube-based epoxies adhere metal to plastic.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,877
    What did you use to clean the plastic with before sticking the hooks on? I use command hooks in my kitchen cupboards and they hold loads of weight. I give the wood a thorough wipe with surgical spirit a few hours before sticking the hooks on and leave for 24hrs before using them to let the glue bond. I suspect your storage box might be getting hot which could be weakening the glue though. Maybe glue a strip of wood to the back and screw hooks into that? Rough the plastic up first with sandpaper before glueing.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people