Forum home Problem solving

Acer with 3 trunks

Hi all,
I have an acer that has been in my garden for a minimum of 7 years, it has barely grown, i know they are slow growers but i noticed it has 3 branches from the root should i remove 1 or 2 of these when it goes dormant? 

• kharri999kharri999 Posts: 8

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,177
    Yes I agree it looks as if it’s been planted too deep which would make it quite unhappy and certainly slow down its growth or even cause it to rot and die. 

I’m not an acer grower but I’d be tempted to dig it up and  replant it at the correct level ... hopefully some of the regulars who do grow them will
    be along soon to and give you the benefit of their experience of acers. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    After 7 years? Not sure I’d disturb it now...  I’d continue to do what you have done, which is to make sure soil level at the trunk is correct, so it is sitting in a shallow pan.    Then maybe aerate a circle a few feet away from plant, feed and water and leave it be.

i have a feeling the problem might be it’s next door neighbour as looks like a possible bamboo very close to it?  That would steal food & water from the acer. 
    I was thinking that if it hadn’t grown much the root ball might not be too large ...  :/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thankyou for everyones replies, yes i thought it was too deep, worried about digging it up as its been in the ground so long, there are no other plants close to it that would cause this. Im more concerned with the 2 extra branches as i want the acer to grow in height, where at the moment it looks like a shrub.
    Some varieties of acer just do not grow very tall. 

• OmoriOmori North YorkshirePosts: 1,659
    edited June 2019
    Many Acers are multi stemmed trees.  I would not remove the side branches, personally.  

I would gently dig down til you find where the roots start, then backfill over so there is a couple inches of soil cover.  Then I would remove the soil to this same level further out from the tree, say at least a foot wide on each side of the tree, so there is a large ring of soil around the tree at the correct depth. 

Would also be helpful to see the entire tree, from further back. I see a branch running horizontally to the left that could possibly be pruned, but hard to say for sure from this photo.
    Thanks for the comments, i think i will leave it alone but ensure the surrounding soil is removed to the correct level hopefully this will help a little.