Forum home Tools and techniques

Cutting brambles down to size...

I have just removed a small forest of brambles, and now need to transport them to dispose of them (burning is not an option). What is the best tool to get the tendrils, which are up to 15ft long and are very thick, down to a manageable size? Some kind of hacking tool seems the best? 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,756
    I IMHO "hacking" at them will lead to you tearing yourself to bits. 
    Loppers and some very stout gloves would be my suggestion.
    Devon.
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,110
    I have the same problem.
    A decent pair of Loppers will enable you to cut down to the width of your car - carefully wrapped in tarpaulin and tied - out of your vehicle, untie and drop in the green skip.  Strong gloves and lots of patience is the key.  I've been doing it for weeks and find it is the best option.
    Alternatively, if you have a Shredder, you can run the brambles thru that and bag them up to take away.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,942
    edited June 2019
    You can rent a shredder for a day.  (google shredder hire in your area)  I shred all my brambles, they make lovely compost when mixed up with grass cuttings.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,756
    a shredder hire might be less than than the petrol to " the tip" and much less agro than getting them in and out of the car and sooooo much more satisfying.
    Devon.
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,110
    Hostafan1 said:
    a shredder hire might be less than than the petrol to " the tip" and much less agro than getting them in and out of the car and sooooo much more satisfying

Very true - I use my shredder but there are just some days when that is all you are doing plus you do need the space to compost it.  Swings and roundabouts I think  Depends on your shredder too  - too much soft green clogs up.  Also if you are organised, a trip to the tip combined with your SM shopping makes your tip trip more economical.  
    Surprising how adept you can become wrapping prickly stuff in a tarp when you have done it several times - I hesitate to say I'm an expert but I'm getting there :D