Forum home Problem solving

Weeping willow

JamesporseJamesporse Posts: 2
edited June 2019 in Problem solving
Hi, i have a very well established 15m high weeping willow which is currently situated on the bottom of a dam which has never been full apart from when it rains heavily but drains in a matter of weeks.. im currently in the process of making it water tight but then the tree trunk will be submerged about 1m - 1.5m.. does anyone have any info or knowledge on how this will inpact the tree?? I know they love water but will this kill it, or would its roots be safe enough underground away from the water? Any info on this would be much appreciated? Thanks

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    if you have a willow growing in a dam that will be the cause of it leaking (the roots will break anything apart) I would remove the tree or risk a catastrophic failure of the dam once it fills
  • Id say your probably right with it playing a part in its leaky state along with one side not holding very well due to poor soil (low clay and high sand) but ive been assured this stuff should do the job even with the tree there as will plug up all the leaks around the roots and is flexible, multiple applications around problem areas might be necessary. But was really just wanting to know how the tree would fair under these new conditions? 

https://shalex.com.au/damit-dam-sealer/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgtiN3cOJ4wIVTQ4rCh3S_AXAEAAYAiAAEgIPvPD_BwE
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,545
    I think you should never underestimate the power of a willow's roots to seek out water.  They will break thru drains to get to it so I would seriously consider relocating your tree in autumn and then repairing the pond/dam liner.  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw