Lime nicotiana all but dead...

dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 407
edited 26 June in Problem solving
I bought a tray of plug plants back in May, to act as fillers in a newly planted bed.
They are now mostly withered, with brown leaves, drooping flowerheads, and looking very sorry for themselves. No new growth whatsoever.
Everything else in the same large bed is thriving.
Are nicotianas particularly prone to sickliness? It's the first time I've ever grown them.
🎼"I've been driving in my car, it don't look much but I've been far, I drive up to Muswell Hill, I've even been to Selsey Bill..."🎹

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 503
    I would stick with them, once they get to a reasonable size they don’t take much looking after.  Last year ours thrived, but they have struggled this year.  They have been getting eaten by slugs/snails.  Don’t remember that happening before.  We grow them from seed.  As well as Lime, we have pink and red seed.  Maybe too late to sow now, but let me know if you would like some
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,568
    Yes they are prone to disease, I’ve just been reading a similar tale on another forum. Probably best destroyed and put in the dustbin. It’s called tobacco mosaic virus. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 407
    Lyn said:
    Yes they are prone to disease, I’ve just been reading a similar tale on another forum. Probably best destroyed and put in the dustbin. It’s called tobacco mosaic virus. 
    Thanks Lyn, good to know. I'll get rid of them. Does that disease affect other plants too?
    🎼"I've been driving in my car, it don't look much but I've been far, I drive up to Muswell Hill, I've even been to Selsey Bill..."🎹
  • dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 407
    Lyn said:
    I would stick with them, once they get to a reasonable size they don’t take much looking after.  Last year ours thrived, but they have struggled this year.  They have been getting eaten by slugs/snails.  Don’t remember that happening before.  We grow them from seed.  As well as Lime, we have pink and red seed.  Maybe too late to sow now, but let me know if you would like some
    Thanks for the seed offer! They've all died off sadly, couldn't save them at all...😞