Forum home Fruit & veg

Aphids are eating my plants

Hi, new gardener here. I have a raised bed and a variety of potted herbs in the garden and kitchen. We get a lot of aphids here which come from the trees and have become a real problem. We're looking into getting more ladybirds in the garden, but does anyone have any other tips? There is some spare space in the raised bed where I could plant something to attract beneficial insects/deter aphids - what would be best?

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 2,816
    Try rubbing off aphids with your fingers or jetting off with a hose and some people recommend a bird feeder as close by as possible to attract birds to eat them. It’s scary I know but if you can resist the temptation to spray with poison the predators will come and the garden will achieve a balance. Good luck! 
  • CeresCeres Posts: 1,867
    The aphids won't eat your plants but they might cause the growing tips to become distorted. Try squishing them with your fingers. It's a bit messy but works well.
  • Use a Mild soapy water solution and spray the plants.Dont make it too soapy. I like you would love the ladybirds to come and have lunch but they never come when you need them so I always spray my Veg and flowers with this solution.works well. Dont use any lemon or other fragrance versions though just normal "Fairy" (other brands are available)

Regards

Jolly G
  • My latest video actually tackles this very problem

My Allotment Diary, EP 6: Easy Homemade Insecticide Spray

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,635
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 2,816
    My daughter had lots of aphids on her roses a few weeks ago she just left them alone she now has dozens of baby and some adult ladybirds and almost no aphids! Any form of insecticide even soap will harm beneficial insects clean water or squishing with fingers is the best option in my opinion. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,156
    I agree debs. Occasional infestations are just that - occasional. I had a stem or two on a shrub, coated with them. I looked the next day - all gone  :)

It all balances out if you encourage wildlife in, and a quick wipe with your hand if they're unable to keep up for a little while.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....