Forum home Plants

What is this?

purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,239
What is this climbing over my fence from next door. Should I be worried/watchful?Thanks for your help in advance .😁

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,639
    Looks like White Bryony, Bryonia Dioica. The roots are reported to be poisonous.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    edited June 2019
    I’d say bryony too.  Looks pretty, but actually a monster.  Has a huge tap root like a ginormous turnip.  If you get on well with your neighbours ask them to remove it as otherwise endless problems as they are super vigorous.  The berries are also toxic so not good news if toddlers around. 

And whatever you do, don’t let it seed on your side of the fence as will create even more problems.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,430
    Looks like White Bryony, Bryonia Dioica. The roots are reported to be poisonous.
    So are the berries. Don’t let it seed in your garden but it’s looking pretty hanging over the fence so you’re getting the best of both worlds. 

The root of white bryony can grow massive and be very difficult to get rid of  ... your neighbour may regret letting it grow there 
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=783
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,239
    He let's ANYTHING grow, it's a jungle and he likes it that way. So I'll just keep cutting it back, along with the bindweed, brambles, elderberries, lilac...... all over 12 foot tall.🙄