Forum home Problem solving

Honeysuckle with yellowing leaves

Hi,

I have a fairly new potted honeysuckle and recently its leaves have been going yellow and have black/grey spots on. This is mainly the old leaves in the middle of the plant and there is plenty of new growth. I’ve attached some photos. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,254
    That is powdery mildew setting in.  

I’m afraid very few honeysuckles are happy being grown in a container.

They’re naturally plants of the hedgerow and damp woodland and need a cool damp root run, and we often find honeysuckles in containers are particularly susceptible to powdery mildew when they are stressed by being grown in containers; then the leaves turn yellow and black with a powdery deposit and are then shed leaving unhappy bare stems. 

Have you you anywhere you can plant it in the ground where it’ll have its roots in damp shade and its face in the sun?  That’s what’ll make it happy 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• EmmapgrewEmmapgrew Posts: 2
    Thanks for helping identify the problem! That’s such a shame as I was looking for a climber that I could have in a pot in a shady spot but from what you say I’ll have to move it somewhere else to keep it going.

Thanks very much for clearing that up for me.