Forum home Problem solving

Lupin and cats

BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
My cat has just this moment taken to chewing one of my dwarf lupins resulting on the flower stem being broken and  I noticed he's also chewed the leaves. Looking on Google it seems lupins are dangerous/poisonous to cats amongst other plants. Should I remove the lupins or would it likely be a one off 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,269
    I take it he’s only had a tiny nibble? Keep an eye on the cat ... if he seems to want to repeat the experiment I’d move the plant. 

He may be feeling the need of some greenery to nibble ... it can help with expelling fur balls ... you can usually get special grass for cats from the larger pet stores ... or you can grow it yourself https://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Flower-Seeds/All-Flower-Seeds/Cat-Grass_108464.htm#close

Also perhaps growing some Nepeta would attract him to a different part of the garden and away from the lupins. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 327
    edited June 2019
    Our cat regularly samples the new houseplants-anything green he can get a hold of.
    I have discovered he does quickly discover which are toxic and which not. Our areca palm will never reach it's full potential. I would not worry about it too much. Keep an eye out for any off symptoms, otherwise, the cat should figure it out. Odds are yours has a higher IQ than ours...(it wouldn't take much as ours is a bit of a hopeless case)
  • AstroAstro Posts: 383
    Our cat had a chew on a few lupin leaves when I had some sunning in a window. She was fine and I noticed no ill effects, though always best to keep on eye on them just in case. 

Cats are tinkers for chewing plants, kinda funny unless it's poisonous of course. 
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Our cat regularly samples the new houseplants-anything green he can get a hold of.
    I have discovered he does quickly discover which are toxic and which not. Our areca palm will never reach it's full potential. I would not worry about it too much. Keep an eye out for any off symptoms, otherwise, the cat should figure it out. Odds are yours has a higher IQ than ours...(it wouldn't take much as ours is a bit of a hopeless case)
    His IQ isn't that good I'm afraid 😂😂 he had an habit of running in front of cars which didn't end well. He's on the mend now though 😊😊