Forum home Problem solving

Artificial grass colour problems

Hi all, my new artificial grass was laid a month ago. The problem is that the two colours are noticeably different. My builder assured me this was because one piece was on display at the suppliers and has therefore ‘weathered’. He also said the second piece will weather too in no time at all. Does this sound plausible? Or will the colours remain different for years to come?

any help would be much appreciated thanks.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,493
    Hello seanmcbreen and welcome to the forum. Whilst I am not a liker of fake grass, I think the builder is having you on and I think you should push for your two tone 'grass' to be replaced with 'grass' of the same colour - if necessary replacing all the stuff already laid.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 865
    Have you paid for it already? If not, don't until you are happy with it. If so, definitely get back to the builder and ask him to make sure the grass is all the same colour. Good luck!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,175
    edited June 2019
    I’m no expert but ... I think you’ve been ‘had’. 

My thoughts :

-  the first piece is faded ... the second piece may fade but the first piece will continue to fade so the two pieces will always show different degrees of‘ weathering

-  artificial grass is designed to be outside ... if it’s of good quality surely it shouldn’t fade significantly

-  i suspect the ‘weathered’ piece may have been sold cheaply to your builder ... did he pass on this reduction to you?

- If the builder is aware that it’s ex display he’s also aware that it doesn’t match the newer piece.  He’s trying to pull the wool over your eyes. 

Have you paid him yet?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks for your replies. Yes I took his word that it would even out and decided to pay. It’s worth mentioning that the company has wonderful online reviews etc and take a lot of pride in their reputation. So I don’t think it will be an issue get them back. Just didn’t want to unnecessarily go down that route if the advice I received here backed up what he was saying.
  • EricaheatherEricaheather North West uk Posts: 204
    I would definitely demand it be replaced also. That's not acceptable. Did they make you aware you were having ex display/two tones before laying it? We also have artificial grass, and in the back, part of it is in shade most of the day while the other is in full sun...the grass hasn't faded at all in the full sun section in comparison to the shaded part. If the grass were to fade surely with weathering we would have noticed by now surely. It has been down 4 years approx

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,175
    That’s not acceptable. I would politely insist that the job be redone to your satisfaction. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• EricaheatherEricaheather North West uk Posts: 204
    That's a big difference. I would definitely demand it be changed 
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,493
    Agree with what others have said. It needs to be replaced.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    You sure its not been laid in different directions some artificial turf has to be laid in one direction only a bit like good carpet.

If not then I agree get it all changed. Did you pay by credit card by any chance? if so you can get them to fight it for you or claim a refund.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog