Forum home Garden design

Design help

2»

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,975
    What access out of the back of the garden do you have? how do you get the bins out?
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • FlowerNewbieFlowerNewbie Posts: 149
    All of the conifers need to go I think, I want to incorporate a better tree eventually for wildlife. So I’ve taken a picture, but you’ll now see why the bins annoy me. I have a shared path with my neighbour to the left of the picture, to be honest that neighbour has high fences but to the right hand side of the picture they all have low fences for whatever reason.  
  • If it were my garden I'd be tempted to buy a very small flowering tree that will be attractive, good for wildlife and give height that will help you feel a little less overlooked on the back or left side. If it's small enough, it can be grown in a large container until you're ready to pull up the paving slabs and plant it in the ground. To give you an idea - something like Malus Coralburst.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,040
    edited June 2019
    Hello @FlowerNewbie
    It looks to me that the decking area was put there because there is a difference in level? The pavement/road behind looks lower. I would be inclined to keep it for the time being, especially if the budget is low. You could just let the conifers behind it grow another few feet to give you some more privacy. I would keep the bins below the window so that you simply look over them not at them, which might annoy you even more. If you move the plastic greenhouse elsewhere, there looks to be room for a row of bins. They could be covered up by a relatively cheap roll of brushwood screening, tied to the fence one side and to the steps the other side with a hook to easily pull it back when you need to.

I would also try lifting one paving slab near the side fence to check what is underneath.
    If you find that relatively easy, have a dig down to see what is there. You could use old compost bags to fill with the rubble and then take a few to the tip regularly. If that works, you could then take our more slabs alongside the fence and make planting pockets for tall, thin plants for privacy.

As you have two toddlers, some of the paved area could be covered with interlocking rubber play squares to make a softer temporary surface. I did think about suggesting you covered it with bark chippings, but cats would probably use it as a loo!
    I think you need to work out the practicalities first and your budget, then lastly think about any plants. And in a very small garden, less is more. 
  • FlowerNewbieFlowerNewbie Posts: 149
    @Lizzie27 I did actually lift one of the slabs up a few days ago, this was underneath.. doesn’t look too deep, a few inches maybe? The front garden gets more sun and I was contemplating moving the greenhouse to there, plus we hardly use the front garden/front door. That sounds like a really great idea with the tall plants! I’m loving everyone’s ideas 💡  ☺️ 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,998
    @FlowerNewbie, it looks like they've been laid on to builder's sand and hoggin(stones), could have been worse ! You could try digging and skimming off the top layer and hopefully find some reasonable soil underneath 🤞