Forum home Plants

Help - Unidentified plant in Veggie Garden

Can anyone identify this? It’s been seeded by a bird we think

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 82,769
    It looks very much like a kiwi fruit vine ... is it attempting to twine around anything! 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Not yet it is simply growing upwards -hasn’t tried to climb the bird bath. Approx 3ft now - perhaps a stake may be needed
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 28,839
    If it's a kiwi vine it's going to need more than a stake.   We have inherited one we're training on wires along a barn wall and it's got several stems now at least 30' long tho it could be kept shorter if we had less wall.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,391
    Definitely kiwi vine.  I grew several from the tiny black seeds of one from a supermarket and they look identical to yours.  As said above, they grow fast and large.  None of mine ever flowered/fruited and I eventually had to dig most of them out.  Most came back from bits of root cut a foot below ground..
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 82,769
    Most kiwi vines are either male or female and you need one of each 😉 and you can’t tell which is which until they flower
     ... you can buy a self fertile variety ... or you can take cuttings from established vines where the gender is known ... but don’t forget to label them !!!
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks guys! Must have been a big bird to have enable this!!!!!
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 28,839
    Ever eaten a kiwi fruit?  The seeds are small.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Well it had a good aim.