Forum home Fruit & veg

Walnut tree

modcowdesignmodcowdesign WandsworthPosts: 8
I have a 3-4 year old Walnut tree, which has grown from a nut buried by a squirrel, then transferred to a large pot. Each year it produces a good display of leaves from the trunk. Although the tree is getting taller there are no branches forming. When should the formation of branches start. Each winter as the leaves die back I'm left with a 3ft stick in a pot.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,521
    edited June 2019
    If you look at the photo in this link you will see somebody who was trying to sell five year old walnut trees. They are pretty much the same as yours, only taller.😁

https://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/outdoor-garden-conservatory/plants-trees/trees/listing-2192685307.htm

One sure way to make the tree produce branches would be to use the phenomenon known as apical dominance to help you.

“Apical dominance occurs when the shoot apex inhibits the growth of lateral buds so that the plant may grow vertically. It is important for the plant to devote energy to growing upward so that it can get more light to undergo photosynthesis. If the plant utilizes available energy for growing upward, it may be able to outcompete other individuals in the vicinity. Plants that were capable of outcompeting neighboring plants likely had higher fitness.”

You could nip out the top bud.

By doing that you will force the tree to make new growth from other buds.

But whatever you decide to do, you are in for a long wait for any walnuts. I bought a ready made tree eleven years ago and I am still waiting for it to flower.🙄

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • modcowdesignmodcowdesign WandsworthPosts: 8
    Thanks, I'll give that a try. Not bothered just yet about the fruits, I'm just happy seeing what happens from a nut that accidentally germinated in my garden. Thanks
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,461
    Old country saying:

"A woman, a dog and a walnut tree:
    The more you beat them, the better they be."

Apparently, beating your walnut tree will not make it grow faster or produce more or better nuts.  What it will do is bruise the cambium layer between the wood and the bark, producing patterns in the grain when the wood is used for furniture.

The world's best walnuts are produced in the alpine valleys around Grenoble in south-east France.  I used to think a walnut is a walnut until I spent nine months in Grenoble; they really are special.  I think maybe they have lower levels of tannin.
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,070
    Well they’re not to be found in North London.  Not managed to get a single Walnut from ours, thanks to Tufty and friends. 
  • Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 335
    Now is the time to pickle walnuts if you have your own tree.