Wildflowers and mini meadow

BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 833
I dont know if I'm doing this right but so far I'm quite pleased with it. 

I left a circle unmowed in the middle of the grass and sprinkled an area with wildflower seeds.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,515
    Love the clover and flowering grasses 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• SarahQPemSarahQPem Posts: 3
    Oh I’m pleased to see that tactic working! I’m trying something similar at the back end of my lawn and then letting it go wild under the trees. Think I’ll introduce some bluebells and maybe wild garlic there but for the mini meadow I was thinking just doing what you’ve done here! Looks great!
  • If you have native bluebells  @SarahQPem don't plant wild garlic too - the wild garlic will smother the bluebells in no time at all - go for native bluebells which are beautiful and primroses, the colours will compliment each other, both providing a lovely spring carpet.
  • robiwanrobiwan Posts: 178
    nice love a wild meadow  :)
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 833
    I like the grasses too Dove, there seems to be about 4 different species just from the normal grass lawn. I transplanted some tansy into it too. 

It's hard to get wild flower seeds individually here, I would love some of the umbellifers. The mixes are available here bit the packet doesn't say what it contains. I can see I've got some poppies come up near the fence too  :)
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 817
    We have a wild meadow area, with 34 Wild Orchids of the pink kind, we have had Fritillaries, Primroses, Blue Bells, Daisies, Celandines, the grasses are lovely, will be mowed the end of July, after it all has gone to seed, we have had this area for about five years with a lot of pleasure.
    Sounds lovely @cornelly . I should mow it as normal at the end of July then? How low? 
    Our mower is always two settings up, the grass isn't fine lawn grass, so not too low, its cut a few times from the highest setting down.
    A photo of part of the mini meadow.
    It's lovely, especially the orchids.