Forum home Problem solving

george Eddmair

Hi I am new to the forum and an inexperienced gardener, Is this 
palm tree worth saving ? I was about to dispose of it but it has
sprouted a leaf. I intended removing from the pot and re planting.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,177
    Sorry, but it’s a fern and not a very special one.

Unless you are very fond of ferns I’d give the space in the pot to something else.😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,460
    edited June 2019
    Has it got a trunk? It looks like  a tree fern left out for the winter that has somehow survived. With some TLC you could have a beauty, but it will need protection for the winter.  I am looking at the stump in the pot behind. It looks like a tree fern trunk.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    I think it’s worth lavishing a bit of tlc on. 
    I know little about tree ferns but hopefully someone will see this and advise you. 
    Tree ferns aren’t cheap. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• It has 30” of trunk and is 8” wide. I am yards from the coast beside Fraserburgh Aberdeenshire, plenty wind and rain but only occasional frost, I should maybe look for a proper palm tree.
    @Paul B3 grows tree ferns ... I’ve given him a ‘nudge’ in the hope he’ll be able to help. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Yep - Paul B3 it is ( I would probably have remembered at 3 am !! ) :)
    I thought it was him but I did a Search to confirm 😉 

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,997
    The one in the background looks salvageable too !!
    1 Remove all old fronds.
    2 Place in dappled shsde ..
    3 Keep trunk moist at all times until recovery.
    4 Feed liberally ; probably a high Nitrogen plant food to encourage growth .
    5 When recovered , water fronds and trunk every day .

As said above , they're expensive plants to buy .
    I live in E.Lincs ; mine survives outdoors throughout the year .
    25 years on it has adapted and needs no protection anymore .
    (Maybe just good luck) :)
  • I have planted the first one in a walled corner, I will keep an eye on the other one, I think it’s had it, there is no sign of any leave’s
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,997
    There may be time yet , just keep it wet and you (hopefully) might be surprised .
    Yours will be a Dicksonia antarctica ; plenty of info online if you need more advice .
    Good luck !
  • Thank you, first one is planted, and I will do as suggested with the second one,