Virginia Creeper removal

Hello
We have a massive problem with an invasive Virginia Creeper.  It's smothering all the trees around it.  Every winter we try to locate the trunk to cut through it but it all comes back with a vengeance in the Spring. 
It looks attractive for a short spell in autumn but we need to remove it. However due to the density of the shrubbery we can't work out where the base is to saw through the trunk.  Spraying the leaves with Roundup or similar is difficult and hazardous as the canopy is so high.
Any ideas? 

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,402
    Hi, are you sure it's virginia creeper?  Could you post some pictures?
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,865
    sounds more like Russian vine to me
  • elderberryelderberry Posts: 81
     Spraying the leaves with Roundup or similar is difficult and hazardous as the canopy is so high.
    I doubt Roundup would have much effect unless you used industrial quantities.

It sounds like you're going to have to sacrifice the shrubbery to locate the source (or sources) of the creeper.
  • Fire said:
    Hi, are you sure it's virginia creeper?  Could you post some pictures?

• Here's some pics. Yes it's definitely Virginia Creeper. 
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,196
    Yep Virginia Creeper, I have it tumbling over my shed but find it quite easy to pull off.
  • forrest_lesleyforrest_lesley Posts: 4
    edited 30 June
    Yes would be great if it was low down but I can't reach it or find the trunk! It's really fun ripping off the bits I can get to.