Forum home Problem solving

Moving a tree

We have an a flowering cherry and want to move it as we are doing away with a small seating area 4ft x 4ft in the corner and the tree would be in the wrong place. If I dug round it leaving a good root ball and watered it then a day or two later dug it out and replanted would that work. The tree was only planted late last year Oct/Nov and is about 5 or 6 ft tall. If now is the wrong time of year when would be best to move it.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,864
    Move it once all the leaves have fallen off, but when the ground is still warm, so that new roots will be made over the winter.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057
    Thanks fidgetbones, that will give me time to prepare the ground and replace some of the soil as I dought it will be any good under the slabs.
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    to dig up a tree you might want to get yourself a root breaker available at wilko for £6. It's one of their gardening tools, basically an axe on a stick. So useful for digging up tree roots. An auger for digging holes available at B'n'Q for £12 might be useful but depends on how hard the soil is and how deep you need to dig.
    mrtjforman, I have a look on Wilko and speak to my son tonight. If it make's the job easier it'll be work getting. Thank you.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,037
    If it was only planted last year then a spade should do the job.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
    Thanks hogweed. I'll see if it moves with just a spade if not I get the tool mrtjforman suggested. I don't really want more tools if I can do without as not much room in the small shed.