Forum home Problem solving

Moving a tree

We have an a flowering cherry and want to move it as we are doing away with a small seating area 4ft x 4ft in the corner and the tree would be in the wrong place. If I dug round it leaving a good root ball and watered it then a day or two later dug it out and replanted would that work. The tree was only planted late last year Oct/Nov and is about 5 or 6 ft tall. If now is the wrong time of year when would be best to move it.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,578
    Move it once all the leaves have fallen off, but when the ground is still warm, so that new roots will be made over the winter.
  • TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057
    Thanks fidgetbones, that will give me time to prepare the ground and replace some of the soil as I dought it will be any good under the slabs.
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    to dig up a tree you might want to get yourself a root breaker available at wilko for £6. It's one of their gardening tools, basically an axe on a stick. So useful for digging up tree roots. An auger for digging holes available at B'n'Q for £12 might be useful but depends on how hard the soil is and how deep you need to dig.
    mrtjforman, I have a look on Wilko and speak to my son tonight. If it make's the job easier it'll be work getting. Thank you.
  • hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053
    If it was only planted last year then a spade should do the job.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
    Thanks hogweed. I'll see if it moves with just a spade if not I get the tool mrtjforman suggested. I don't really want more tools if I can do without as not much room in the small shed.