Forum home Problem solving

Dogs in the flower borders

Hi everyone
We got a puppy this weekend. Today, with kids packed off to school, we had our first go at gardening together. Just wondering what rules to impose. Should I teach her to always stay on the grass and not in the borders? She's not going to be a big dog ever but I would be pretty sad if she rampaged through my handiwork. We'll be out there gardening together five days a week so I want to be sure to get it right! Here's a pic in case anyone enjoys a good puppy pic! 

Any advice gratefully received!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    She’a gorgeous 💕 

Yes, teach her that she must not step into the flower beds ... not ever. 

Also a discrete and discreet area of bark mulch (not cocoa mulch) for pees and poos will protect your lawn from urine burn patches and keep it pleasant and hygienic for you and everyone else to use.

Start the training straight away ... it’ll be much harder and confusing for her to unlearn stuff if you wait. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057
    Sorry no advise just wanted to say adorable, those eye's. Can I ask what her name is or haven't you decided yet.
  • dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 982
    NannaBoo said:
    Sorry no advise just wanted to say adorable, those eye's. Can I ask what her name is or haven't you decided yet.
    Agreed! Butter wouldn't melt eyes 😁
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    never thought of not allowing my dog into the flower bed. He used to dig up my plants a bit but knows not to now. Only thing I can't stop him doing is chasing and playing with bees - the bee usually doesn't know what's hit it.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,992
    Very cute,  already has the "Who, me ?" expression down to a fine art !

Some advice here that may be of help 
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardeningadvice/10425029/How-to-create-a-dog-friendly-garden.html
    We had springers and labs and a mini dachhund x JRT that really belonged to @WonkyWomble 😊 

None of them would’ve dreamt of going on a flower bed ... not even if the cats did ... although Boss the big lab would harrumph at them. 😂 

Start as you mean to go on ... it’s the only way 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    Now which one of you has sufficient resilience to wake up a sleeping pup and turf him out of the border?  We certainly didn’t!  We would often find him tucked up in bits of the flower beds.  But he grew out of it (luckily as now nearly 30kg!)

😂 ... but I’m that hardhearted soul ... I’d wake him and move him on ... honestly I know it sounds mean but dogs need consistency ... how was he to know he was allowed to stay there ‘because he looked cute’ ... he just learned that sometimes rules have to be kept but sometimes they don’t and no one can give him a reason why. 

All right ... you can all throw rocks at me now ... I’ll get my coat ... 
    😉 

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,526
    My two adult dogs had never seen a flower border until I had a new garden and space to create some... a stern ‘out’, pointing back out toward the grass does the trick, followed by praise when they obey - they know now they are out of bounds. One is a very keen weeder, waits in thrilled anticipation for me to chuck the weeds into the bucket so she can take them out again and toss them around. Sometimes she just can’t help herself and jumps in... so the command still has to be reinforced from time to time. Same when the boy decides the raised veg beds are a jolly good place to lie.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,315
    edited June 2019
    Mm - the main thing you need to learn is how to do the Voice of Doom. Then you can say 'Off' like you mean it. They learn the boundaries as long as you cultivate a healthy relationship with them and are consistent. You don't need to make it any more complicated than that, really.

I can recommend a book on how to bring up a happy well behaved puppy, if you're interested  :)

@Helix That looks very comfy - clearly got the hang of the word 'bed' quite early on  B)
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first”