Forum home Problem solving

Brandt grapevine terminal?

I planted this attractive Brandt grapevine about 15 years ago. It has always been vigorous with masses of fruit. However this year it seemed have barely any leaves which are extremely small. There has been no real growth either and now what leaves exist are wilting. I have never fed or watered it but it is planted in rich soil. I have a 3 year old white dessert vine planted about 5 metres away that is looking extremely healthy. Any ideas? If the Brandt is on its way out I was wondering whether to cut it down and replace it with a small, seedless, red dessert vine (if one exists?). Is it ok to just plant another in the same location?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,089
    edited June 2019
    I would give it lots of water ...at least 2  buckets full every day for the next couple of weeks , on every day that doesn’t give us torrential downpours. 

I watered my very productive Boskoop Glory last summer and this spring I gave it a couple of real soakings. 

The drought last last year coupled with the dry winter and spring means that the soil deep down where the roots are is still very dry. 

My vine was late coming into leaf this year and my farmer brother told me how dry the chalk aquifers in the region are so I gave my gone a couple of really good soakings ... the vine burst into life and is covered with lush new growth. 

Dont give up on your vine just yet ... give it a good soaking. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,615
    I suggest having a look for vine weevil as well as the suggested watering. A quick furtle around the roots will soon tell you if there are grubs present. If so then treatment with nematodes is the next step.