Forum home Problem solving

Surgical repair of Hosta

Birdy13Birdy13 Posts: 595
edited June 2019 in Problem solving
Don't you hate it when you find a perfectly healthy flower has been broken? My hostas are doing fabulously well this year so when I noticed a badly bent flower stem which was still attached I wondered if it would be possible,to splint it. 
I took a plastic straw, split it along its entire length and carefully eased the stem in - a bit like a plumber wrapping a water pipe with split foam insulation. 
The operation was a bit fiddly but very successful. The stem is now straight again and there's every expectation the the patient will do well. Unfortunately, I seem unable to get my photo to upload on to this post.

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    Try making the picture a bit smaller? Sorry i am not technically inclined.
    Don;t know if this sticky topic will help.
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1010384/how-to-upload-a-picture-or-embed-other-media#latest

It is annoying I agree when you get a nice stem and it breaks, sometimes although it is easier to just cut it off we persist in trying to fix it, to enjoy the flowers although it might look a bit dodgy.
    I guess it is the gardening spirit we want things to succeed.
    Some might say why bother,  but I say good for you :)
  • Birdy13Birdy13 Posts: 595
    Oh look, I've managed it. I tried taking a different shape picture.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,935
    Pretty Hosta, some people cut the flower stalks off right from the start, so just the green plant.  
    When @hostafan and I went to RHS Rosemoor someone had dead headed them but just the flowers, leaving the stalks sticking up, looked awful!.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,344
    Putting more lead in @Hostafan1 pencil  :)
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,664
    anyone who cares this much about Hostas is ok in my book. 
    Devon.
  • Birdy13Birdy13 Posts: 595
    I'd always prefer to mend something if it can be mended. We'll see soon whether or not the flower develops properly.
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    Glad you managed to get the photo on. That is a lovely hosta, pretty but also you have grown it well and I like the flowers too.

I will keep your surgical approach in mind  for next time.
    I have also tried brown vinyl packing tpe once when a clematis got broken and I could not bear to cut it all off.

Now there's a garden essentials opportunity money spinner.
    You could corner the market @Birdy13 . Green (stick) fracture repair straws. :)