Forum home Problem solving

palm tree query

Hi - I’ve got this tree in my garden (after some Googling I think it’s a New Zealand Cabbage Tree?) which is lovely but it just doesn’t fit in with my plans so I would like to remove it. Ideally I don’t want to kill it off as it looks far too nice, if I were to dig it out would it live on? Also - should I donate it or could it worth some money? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,149
    It is possible to dig out and pot up many plants providing you dig up enough of the root system which, on something the size of your tree, could be fairly extensive. It might survive or the shock might kill it.
    I doubt it would be worth any money. Not many people would take a chance on a plant that size that was not pot grown.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,999
    Hello Stephen 311
    There is absolutely no chance of digging that up without fatal damage ; they form extensive fibrous root systems which are virtually impenetrable .
    Cordylines are notable for their regenerative properties ; sawing off at the base will stimulate regeneration .
    What would be left of it should you succeed would hardly be worth donating to anyone !
  • Paul B3 said:
    Hello Stephen 311
    There is absolutely no chance of digging that up without fatal damage ; they form extensive fibrous root systems which are virtually impenetrable .
    Cordylines are notable for their regenerative properties ; sawing off at the base will stimulate regeneration .
    What would be left of it should you succeed would hardly be worth donating to anyone !
    Oh that’s a shame as it is a lovely tree but having a really small garden, it’s just in the way. Thanks for getting back to me and I guess I’ll just have to make sure I replace it with lots of other plants to make up for it!