Raised bed help

I want to replace my bowles mauve as its too tall and getting leggy now.

I need advice as I'm still fairly new to gardening.
What would you plant in its place? Pics in summer and winter of the space. There's a smallish climbing rose behind it and a camelia in the corner. 

Thanks! 

• FfoxgloveFfoxglove UkPosts: 287
    Can anyone help? I promise all suggestions welcome otherwise I'll prob muck it up  :'(
  • bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 245
    edited June 2019
    I have a raised bed, with lavender, hardy salvias (the shrubby kind) iberis, aubretia and hardy osteospermums.  The only problem is, it doesn't look that good in winter, but in summer the bees love it. :)  
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,574
    edited June 2019
    If you like the Bowles Mauve, it's really easy from cuttings.  I replace mine every few years when they get woody and leggy.
    Cut off non-flowering shoots if you can find any (if you can only find shoots with flower buds, nip off the buds), trim off the lower leaves and stick into a pot of compost (added sand/grit/perlite is often recommended but I've found that Bowles Mauve isn't fussy). You can use rooting romone if you have it but it's not essential.  When they start growing, put each one in it's own pot and you'll soon have some nice young plants.
    Thank you @bullfinch and @JennyJ I've taken some cuttings in case and I will look into those plants. I'd noticed some osteopermums on here and started thinking about them 
    edited June 2019
    Here's the cleared area under the row. There's about a foot more bed u can't see. 
    I'd like at least something low and evergreen to keep structure there - @bullfinch

will the iberis do this?

I've also got some trailing ivy? 
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 1,028
    I was thinking aubretia too. Almost bought some on SGC but it sold out.
    I also jabe euonymus green n gold I could put there but would that be too big? 
    I've bought a random selection of plants it seems. Nowhere near me can I get iberis!

Any online suggestions? 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,344
    You could always try Ebay. I just checked and there are a few. There are many smaller independent retailers willing to send to you small pots or plugs at this time of year. If you go with the larger online places, they tend to block send at certain times of year, so not always ideal.
  • bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 245
    It looks like there are a few on-line stockists if you google iberis sempervirens, though I haven't used any of them myself, sorry. It's a great trailing plant, evergreen and if you trim it back after it flowers (I use shears) it stays quite bushy.  I also have a trailing/ground-cover daisy which comes with either pink or pale mauve flowers. I'm trying to remember the name......might have to get back on that one