Problem pond

Any one have any ideas for revitalising a large (100 feet+) natural pond which has deep sediment and high nutrients due to ducks? I would like to restore it to a healthy wildlife pond. I have reduced ducks to five now. 

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823
    That's a bit beyond the scope of the average gardener. I'm guessing you will need to call in the professionals and get it dredged.
    What did you do with the other ducks?
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,230
    That's a lake isn't it? How deep is it? Amphibians prefer shallower water where the temps are higher. If it's purely for wildlife I'd question having it dredged, removal of the ducks and time should bring the wildlife.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,966
    Are ducks not wildlife?
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,790
    edited June 2019
    Ceres said:
    What did you do with the other ducks?
       a l'orange?  >:)
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • I rehomed the ducks, they are domestic not mallards. Unfortunately dredging is out of the question partly due to access and also cost. The water is about 2 feet but fluctuates with the weather. I thought I would get some Norfolk reeds and see if that helps reduce the nutrients. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,690
    I think a depth of 2feet is the problem. It'll get very warm in summer and very cold in winter. 
    You need a greater depth to ensure you have a depth of water deeper down with more stable temperature.
    Devon.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 843
    I'm no expert, still learning myself but I read that Oxygenators plants like water mares tail, elodea and lots of others eat up the nutrients.

Is there any way you can dig one area of it deeper? Or alternatively fil in a bit and have a bog garden? 
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,966
    I would just leave it to sort itself out. Nature will eventually repair itself or take the best course to suit the conditions. 
    By wildlife - what do you actually want the pond to do or be?
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Thank you all for your comments. I am going to ask Suffolk wildlife Trust for some advice.