Forum home Problem solving

Is this bush a goner?

What do you reckon, on its way out or salvageable? How to save it if so?

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,999
    The brown foliage will never 'green-up' again , but there is the possibility that the existing green/yellow growth will in time grow over and cover up the unsightly patches .
    My motto is as always "if in doubt , rip it out" ! ;)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,177
    I agree with @Paul B3 ... it’ll never look good ... have it out and replace it with something else. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    edited June 2019
    Planting opportunity as long as, when you remove the goner, you beef up the soil with plenty of garden compost or well-rotted manure or spent planting compost and some pelleted chicken manure or a mix.

That conifer will have sucked all the moisture and nutrients out of the soil it's in.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Agree with others. Just wanted to say that a conical shape evergreen would look nice there. 

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 1,097
    Hello @robharbron,

Before  you take it out you could try taking cuttings from some of the live bits .... nothing to lose.
    Some info. here.

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-take-conifer-cuttings/

Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • robharbronrobharbron Posts: 13
    Thanks All! The yellow is relatively new.. it used to be that typical conifer green... 

Any idea why it's now yellow? Lack of nutrients? If i fed it could it turn green again?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    When an evergreen like that goes yellow (chlorotic) it is a sign of stress from being hungry for iron and/or magnesium and probably thirsty too.    ot sur ethey'll make successful cuttings.

You can try giving it a good drink with some added fertiliser for ericaceous plants to see if it recovers.  You can also try a foliar feed which just involves using a watering can with a spray rose to pour over a solution of 5ml of water mixed with 15ml of Epsom salts which will give added magnesium.   

The brown bits will never recover so need cutting out.  I'd cut my losses and get rid and replace.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,999
    edited June 2019
    I would replace it as well, look on it as a new planting opportunity  :)
    Agree about the snazzy outfit also 😁