Forum home Fruit & veg

Apple Trees

I have 4year old Laxton Supreme apple tree which has never had any blossom on when I bought it it was 2 years old. At the same time I also bought another apple tree (Red Devil)
which has always blossomed and had fruit on. Any suggestions please.
Christine.

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,461
    Welcome to the forum, Christine. 

Different apple varieties mature at different rates.  Two years ago I planted a yearling "Goose's arse" (that really is its name - it's a Welsh heritage variety, and the grower assures customers that the name describes the shape of the fruit not the flavour).  In its first spring it was covered in blossom and set nine fruits; this was three times as many as my Egremont russet had managed in four years.  In any case, it's better for young trees to have all fruitlets removed until they are four years old, and then thinned to a few fruits for the next few years.  This helps the tree's roots, trunk and branches to grow and mature.  

Have your trees got watering funnels?  This is easy to do:  cut the bottom off any old plastic bottle, and bury the top upside down beside the tree.  This enables you to pour water directly to the roots, without wasting any at the surface. If you want, you can squash the cut-off piece over the open end so it doesn't fill with dirt. 

If your trees are in a lawn, as mine are, it's also a good idea to maintain a grass- and weed-free circle around the tree, to reduce competition for water and nutrients.  If you apply an annual mulch to this circle, that will help retain water in the soil, slowly top up the nutrients as it rots down into the soil, and inhibit weed growth.

• Thank you very much Josusa47 for your information very helpful