Forum home Problem solving

Pine tree needles going brown.

We live in Fife and have a large pine tree in our garden, it is higher than our house and was in the garden when we moved in 20 years ago, it has always been really healthy, but now must of the needles have turned brown, although all the branches have luscious green needles on the ends and it still grows lovely cones, I'm not sure if it is a Scottish pine tree. Does anyone have any ideas please?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,267
    Hello,

Unfortunately, there are lots of diseases out there and without seeing the tree, its branches and its needles at different times of the year it would be hard to pinpoint which one is affecting your tree.

It maybe this

https://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/tools-and-resources/pest-and-disease-resources/dothistroma-red-band-needle-blight/disease-symptoms-and-life-cycle-of-dothistroma-red-band-needle-blight/

But it could easily be something else.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Thank you, I'm not sure either, I have a few photos, but it probably won't show much. 
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,000
    Hello rachelandgerry

That is not a Pine tree (Pinus) ; that looks more like a Spruce (Picea) , more precisely Picea abies or Norway Spruce .
    Did you suffer from last years dry-spell? These trees , however large , are very susceptible to drought , originating from areas of exceptionally high rainfall (some areas up to 4m.per year)!! This is partly the species own fault as they form a 'carpet' root-system as opposed to conifers that form a deep taproot .
    I hope it's not diseased , and is exhibiting a belated response to last years climatic conditions .
  • Thank you very much, we did have a very dry summer last year, do you think it will recover I realise the brown needles will never grow back, but I would hate it to have to come down, the little birds seem to love it, slo we have an apple tree and a rowan tree underneath and the magpies can't get the little birds that are feeding because of our big spruce tree, I know it is only nature, but it is upsetting if the bigger birds catch the smaller ones.  Sorry, I have strayed away from the subject. Thanks again Paul B3.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,000
    Apologies for the late response and no , we too attempt to look after our local 'bird-life'!
    Possibly your tree will appear a bit 'spindly' and bare for the next few years , but whilst it remains safe it is obviously playing a vital role in your garden regarding the magpies .
    Enjoy !! :)