Forum home Problem solving

Bindweed versus Japanese Knotweed .

gfs44gfs44 RochfordPosts: 11
Difference this time of year between the above Thanks in advance.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,514
    Hello gfs and welcome to the forum.
    Bindweed twists and winds itself around itself and other plants whereas Japanese knotweed grows in clumps.
    Bind weed
    Image result for bind weed growth images uk
    Knotweed
    Image result for knotweed growth images

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    Hi gfs - do you think you may have one or other  in your garden? 
    If you can't decide by looking at Ladybird's pix, you can post some pix on the forum, and members can help ID it for you  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• gfs44gfs44 RochfordPosts: 11
    Thank you all for your help !See pics,Att.This area is going to be a car park area with blocks or slabs.
  • TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,589
    That is almost certainly bindweed. Best to get rid of it before you do the hard landscaping.

I try to avoid using glyphosate whenever possible but this is one occasion I would use it. Apply to the leaves and leave for 3 to 4 weeks to work it's way down to the roots. Then wait a couple of weeks and repeat if there is any sign of regrowth.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,269
    I agree with everything @Topbird has said 👍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• gfs44gfs44 RochfordPosts: 11
    I used Resolvable Xtra Tough on it this morning,as it happens,bindweed is listed on its usages,ta much .
  • theend00theend00 Posts: 48
    Bindweed has very arrow shaped leaves whereas knotweed is similar to dockleaf , shield shaped 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,707
    And if it gets to flowering stage, bindweed has pretty trumpet-shaped flowers.  If it didn't smother everything within reach it would be a nice plant.