Forum home Problem solving

What's this please???

• Hi everybody, I'm a newbie here and to any form of gardening, IV just bought a house with a mahoosive garden with lots of trees and amazing plants and flowers. I have no idea what anything is, so you may see me in here seeking advice lots! I cleared an area around all the plants and these have sprouted up everywhere! Loads of them! Could you tell me what they are? Do I get rid of them? They seem to pull up easily from the ground or do I keep them because their some form of amazing plant that shouldn't be removed? Help please would be amazing! 
  • jaffacakesjaffacakes IrelandPosts: 424
    Crocosmia. Probably Lucifier
  • Thankyou jaffacakes, I'll Google now what that is and if it's an unforgivable sin to pull it all up! 
  • jaffacakesjaffacakes IrelandPosts: 424
    They are nice but can spread. You can dig up clumps if you don't want it is certain parts  :)
  • I'm kinda guessing they do spread! They are everywhere, IV looked them up, I think I'm going to try to contain them to only a smaller area rather than my whole garden! 
    Thankyou so much for identifying them! 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,945
    If you have a big garden it’s nice to have something like that to make a statement, easily thinned out later when the green dies down but nice bright red flowers. 
    I think it would be a bit overpowering in a small garden though. I can see why people try to get it all out. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I agree Lyn! I think I'm gonna just pull them out (only the leaves bit comes out and the roots bit are still in) so that way they will grow back which gives me time to figure out what everything is in my garden and what I want to keep etc. Plus how to care for it all, the previous owner was a lifetime avid gardener by the looks of it and took lots of pride in it, so I want to try to keep it that way x
  • Iris leaves are very similar to this. They look tall? If it's a type of Iris it will have a corm  not a bulb so you could dig one up and see? I have Gladioli that also look like this before they flower, but they are bulbs. Good Luck. Someone must have had a whale of a time planting all of them! Good Luck.
    Amethyst Falls
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,945
    You only need to leave one in the ground and stand well back,  they will multiply!  I’m forever digging them up, always miss one or two.
    these appeared behind my pond, I have no idea from where, must have slipped through in the compost!

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,433
    Not an Iris - definitely Crocosmia, and probably Lucifer as it's bigger and flowers earlier than most of the others. 
    We had a big statement one in a previous garden and it was very striking. Plenty of room there for it to multipy though, but as Lyn says, a bit big to have more than one or two in a small space, so you need to keep an eye on it if it pops up in lots of places. 
    Great for jungly themed gardens too, as they're tough as old boots.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....