Which oxygenating plant for small pond?

jaffacakesjaffacakes IrelandPosts: 338
Hi all,

I built a small pond but now need a small oxygenating plant and perhaps something else to grow as a marsh plant along the edge. My local gardening centre has below available as oxygenating plants. Which would be the best for a small pond? Maybe i would be better to order some hornwort online?
Thanks all

Lilaeopsis brasiliensis

Myriophyllum brasiliensis

Rotala indica

Rotala rotundifolia

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,014
    Hornwort is well behaved in my little w/l pond, but it took a couple of years to get established.

I've bought plants on-line from Waterside Nursery (plants ok, but expensive!)
    I'd recommend Puddle Plants - cheaper and better, stronger plants in my experience.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • CeresCeres Posts: 1,823
    Whatever plant you chose, try to make it a native otherwise you run the risk of it getting into the surrounding countryside and reaping havoc.

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 562
    Don’t know if it’s a native but I love Salvinia natans.  It’s not hardy but quite cheap to buy online each year.  We also have Hippuris vulgaris which is a hardy native. 
  • jaffacakesjaffacakes IrelandPosts: 338
    Thanks for the advice all. Salvinia natans looks nice. I didn't realise floating plants could be oxygenating.
    Picked up some hornwort just over a week ago and was looking at the pond today and was shocked. It looks like I have tadpoles or something that looks like them at least. So exciting.  :o:o:) wonder did this come from the plant or maybe I have frogs I didn't know about.

After a bit of research, i now think they are mosquitos :neutral:
  • dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 516
    Hi all,

I built a small pond but now need a small oxygenating plant and perhaps something else to grow as a marsh plant along the edge. My local gardening centre has below available as oxygenating plants. Which would be the best for a small pond? Maybe i would be better to order some hornwort online?
    Thanks all

Lilaeopsis brasiliensis

Myriophyllum brasiliensis

Rotala indica

Rotala rotundifolia

You've just made my day with this thread! I was just asking the same questions, as I've just built a pond and am looking to stock it. Thanks!
    🎼"I've been driving in my car, it don't look much but I've been far, I drive up to Muswell Hill, I've even been to Selsey Bill..."🎹