Forum home Problem solving

Holly hedge

I want to reduce in height a 10ft high well established healthy holly hedge to about 5ft high.
Will I kill the hedge, and when would be the best time of year to cut it down to size ?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,175
    Hello @angusmackinnon88 😊 

Holly responds well to being cut hard back. I would cut it back in the winter, reducing it to  a foot shorter (and a good bit narrower) than you want it to be ... cutting it back will encourage lots of new sideshoot growth the following year and regular clipping of the new growth over the next couple of years will ensure you get a nice thick hedge. 

In the spring when things start to grow (and the little animals no longer need the winter shelter) I would clear rubbish/dead leaves/grass and weeds etc from the base of the hedge, give it a feed of Fish, Blood & Bone, a good watering and a mulch with some organic matter/garden compost etc. 

Ensure that the roots dont dry out in any prolonged dry spell, and stand well back ... you’ll have a great hedge (I love holly hedges). 😊 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh