Petrol Lawn mower on a budget

Hi, i will admit to never having a petrol lawn mower,but alas i feel the urge rising up and its in need of a hit. I have a decent size lawn and am fed up with using extension leads although i have given myself a ceiling of £200 i think i have wittledit down to these two.

The racing brand i have tried to do some background checks on,but you put into google Racing lawnmowers....and we're going down a completely different track.
Advice would be appreciated.

keep spreading the love!

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,844
    I have to admit I've never heard of the 'Racing' brand and without further detail of the engine used I would be inclined to discount that one.  Hyundai are obviously known for cars in the UK but at least are known.  Of the two I would lean toward the Hyundai.
    Any particular reason you aren't considering any of the makes and models available at the likes of B&Q or Homebase?
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,962
    Just looking at the specs the Racing machine is significantly bigger and a lot heavier (10kgs) than the Hyundai one. In its Hyundai favour, as well as the obvious lighter weight, it has got a 3 year guarantee and looks as though it may be a key start? The important things to look for in a petrol mower is width of cut, weight, and start method - pull starts are notoriously difficult for us females! Hyundai is a 16 in cut and Racing 19in. The wider the cut makes it more difficult to manoeuvre round things but makes it quicker to mow a given area. How wide is the cut on your current mower?
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 654
    I have a 173cc mower from Texas (company not state) (5120TR) the stats are very very similar to the top one 0.1Hp less 1cm more cut, but same weight same engine size same look I would not be surprised if they were the same manufacturer under the badges. We've had it 6 years now and the power is lovely it can easily cut grass over knee high when dry and unhappily when wet. I would go the other way from KT 8cm less in cutting width will be annoying and the catch bag is small at only 45L Those two machines are aimed at quite different markets, the first is for big lawns up to 1500m and the latter for half that size (800m) and 1/2 the size fuel tank. the second one is considerably lighter, so if you think that you'll struggle with 40kg at any point then that might be something to consider.
    I would say if you have a large area of lawn/rough lawn buy the first larger machine and use it hard in the first 2 years while it is in warranty, you'll soon know if it is reliable or not, the hose port to clean it is lovely by the way! If you have a smaller lawn would like the electric start function or don't feel like lugging 40kg around pick the latter one.
  • Thanks for the input peeps.KT53,I will checkout B&Q/HB today now you mention it,just heard good things about mowdirect.My electric one at the moment hogweed is about 16 and ive added lawn since then.Skandi,the added extras on the bigger one do make it more tempting to me and great call on hammering it first 2 yrs....Thanks again  
  • Just to put you lot out of your susspenders...i ended up after careful consideration opting for this bad boy.....

First impressions..why did i wait so long to turn petrol,,,,,love it.

On the down side it is not self propelled and its a pull start. On the upside it is a Briggs and Stratton engine and you love it which is all that matters. I had the self propelled version of this and it lasted me donkeys years. Only changed it because I just didn't have the muscle to pull start it any more. 
  • OomkinOomkin Posts: 8
    edited June 2019
    We bought a Honda, circa 9 years ago when we moved house, and went from a postage size piece of lawn, to something similar to what you have.
    At the time I bought a Honda push along petrol mower, and it's not missed a beat - we just keep the oil topped up, and clearly feed it petrol, though it's pretty frugal - not even taken it for a service or even cleaned the spark plug in that time  :oops: , maybe a bad idea, but it's only costing us circa £20 per year as it stands - can't really argue with that.
    No knowledge of the other brands you listed - think I even saw a petrol mower in Lidl the other day!
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,844
    You are extemely fortunate if you have got away without servicing a petrol mower for 9 years.  I did have a petrol Flymo for many years, and that was never serviced.  It did eventually die for other reasons.
    I now have a Honda petrol, and if that isn't regularly serviced it becomes almost impossible to start.
  • hogweed said:
    On the down side it is not self propelled and its a pull start. On the upside it is a Briggs and Stratton engine and you love it which is all that matters. I had the self propelled version of this and it lasted me donkeys years. Only changed it because I just didn't have the muscle to pull start it any more.
    Relatively flat.Sussed out how to post my first pic too.

Beautiful garden. ANd nice grass too!