Forum home Fruit & veg

Tomato plant flowers dying or fruiting??

Will these piccolo tomatoes fruit or are they dying???

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,636
    Your toms are fruiting - the flowers will fade and the fruit will appear at that point.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,297
    If the flowers were pollinated before wilting then there will be fruit, if not no fruit. To ensure fruit hand pollinate with a childs paint brush , just lightly  dust each flower. It seems a shame to leave it to chance especially if you only have a few plants, this way at least you will know for sure you will get a crop. Do it every other day to all open flowers. Hope this helps.😁
  • How long will it take from them being like this to see them fruit? So I know if they have been pollinated or not.
    If they haven't the stem will turn brown too, if the leaves stay green then a tom is forming. You might be able to see a pea size fruit in a few days to a week
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 1,479
    You can carefully pull off that dry yellow bit and see it now. But don't do that if it doesn't go off easily. If you can't do that now, maybe two days.
    Yes I just tap the flowers  but usually not until I see fruit, then it must come off to discourage blossom end rot.
  • You were right with gently picking off the dry yellow flowers. Thank you for the tip. I lifted one up to look inside and it accidentally snapped off, silly me.p
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,358
    To be honest Amy - just the action of watering plants, removing sideshoots in leaf axils, or tieing in stems is enough, as you are moving the plants. If they're outside, a breeze will be sufficient for it to happen.
    You'll get plenty of little fruits forming now.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....