Anyone like to guess what did this?

herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,184
Went out this morning to top up bird feeders only to find one of them pretty much destroyed.

The squirrel is annoying and persistent but I can't believe this was him, could it be a mouse maybe?

Or several mice? Whatever, it's chewed the perch off as well as a big hole in the tube.
Any offers on the rodent responsible?  Please tell me it's not The Big One!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,967
    I doubt it's mice - mine just eat the food and go back home.
    Squirrels are very destructive though, and can destroy feeders easily, so if they can get in, it could be one of them.
    Is there any 'obvious' evidence that it could be a rat? The mice leave droppings on mine all the time, so I'd expect a rat would also do that.  :/
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,184
    No obvious sign of droppings Fairygirl but it would be difficult to see them as they would probably have dropped to the ground. The feeder was on a double wrought iron stand near the shrubs but I'm not sure if it would be accessible from them.

Thinking whatever it was must have climbed the pole. Off to check under the undergrowth now - with a torch! Back soon.....
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,518
    Squirrels is my bet ... they did that to the feeders where I used to work. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,265
    I second squirrels and have had exactly the same sort of damage.  Feeders with metal feed holes help - I have 3 of these:
    The squirrels still feed but can't bite through the edges of the feed holes, which is where my plastic ones were damaged.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • stewyfizzstewyfizz West BromwichPosts: 161
    I would guess a squirrel. They are persistent and determined so-and-so's. The one who visits us has taken to hanging upside down by his tail from a thin branch to get at the goodies in a coconut half. Gotta hand it to em.
    Gardening. The cause of, and solution to, all of my problems.
    I am relieved to hear some votes for squirrels although it makes me wonder why I got 'squirrel proof' feeders!  Can't see any obvious signs of poo but there is a lot of leaf litter and sunflower seed husks so I may have missed very small stuff.

That looks a good sturdy feeder BobTheGardener, I have a couple of Nuttery ones but use these cheaper ones while the big boys are being cleaned. Might have to invest in some more sturdy stand ins!

How do they get their faces through the bars? I can imagine them grabbing a few seeds but to chew you need to be close up. I'm perplexed.

I know he's tried in the past as I have seen him, and the parakeets, and the jackdaw and magpies, crows - but never seen them succeed.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,265
    I just discovered I bought those 3 in Dec. 2014, so they've survived about five years so far. :)  Easy to take apart and clean, too. 👍
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    I like easy to clean BobTheGardener! Maybe just found my replacements, thank you.

Think I might go and disturb the 'shrubbery' tomorrow just in case a Ratty thinks he's welcome!
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,963
    Or crows. I have found them very destructive.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
    Indeed Hogweed, although this damage looks more chewed which is why I suspected a rodent of some description.