Forum home Fruit & veg

Melon Wilting and Brown Stem

stewyfizzstewyfizz West BromwichPosts: 161
Growing a melon for the first time this year. Put it in a deep veg compost bag alongside my Cucumber. The cucumber is going great but in the last week the melon has wilted and developed a brown stem. Anyone know what it is? Can it be rescued or is it a goner? 
Gardening. The cause of, and solution to, all of my problems.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,169
    *Bump* in the hope that someone can advise  :)
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,177
    I've not tried growing melons, but I do grow cucumbers.
    It looks like it may be stem rot.
    If the base of the stem is kept in wet conditions for a while (and especially if it's been chilly), it can rot and the plant will die  - IF it's stem rot - not easy to see from the pics.
    The same can happen with cucumbers.
    It's best when planting (cucumbers and melons) to plant so the base of the stem is just slightly above the surrounding compost so the base of the stem isn't wet/damp for prolonged periods.
    Alternatively (or additionally), if you sink a pot into the compost, you can pour water into the pot so it goes to the roots and keeps the stem dry.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • stewyfizzstewyfizz West BromwichPosts: 161
    I guess it may just have gotten wet and cold then and the stem has succumbed. Try again next year i suppose!
    Gardening. The cause of, and solution to, all of my problems.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,884
    Sometimes it just happens.  During the recent rainy spell, I lost 4 out of 6 cucumber plants to it, even though they were planted in bottomless pots sitting on the greenhouse soil border, to try and prevent exactly this problem.  It's years like this that I remember why I always sow what seems like far too many cucumber seeds! ;)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.