Forum home Problem solving

HELP! What is digging in the lawn?

Really strange tunnels and holes have appeared in my lawn the last few days. We have many cats so I’m thinking rodents may not be the cause. Do ants do this sort of damage? Please help - any advice would be greatly appreciated 😥

• dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 982
    That would have to be some ant  :D
    Looks like something may have been having a party on the surface, rather that it coming from below, but I could be wrong...
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Looks like moles to me
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    Voles....?  Poke a skewer into the grass to see if you can feel subterranean galleries. 
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    I'm thinking mole, too.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,527
    It's probably ants coming to the surface due to all the rain we've had. They are all over our lawn as well.
  • BumbleBeBumbleBe Posts: 3
    Seems to be getting worse! I’ve tried poking a stick into the grass and can’t see anything. Really don’t know what it could be? 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,240
    Foxes digging for worms and grubs?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A1IFt08OoOc

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    I also think it is ants initially and something is rooting around for the eggs or ants, woodpeckers do it here and other birds like starlings take an interest too.
    It is mild and thundery "close" so flying ants are up and coming which makes the birds dig for them too.

So initially the fine soil is the ants and the uprooted bits something digging.

In your last photos in you flower bed at the edge in between the first plant from the bottom (pink one) and white plants and in front of the red one at the bed edge.
    Do you know which heuchera you have there please?
    The flowers look nice and large.

The whole garden looks beautiful and  you have a lovely border there, so hope you can sort out your mystery.