Can anyone identify this animal?

Hi,

I recently bought a house, and the garden has been 'returned to nature' shall we say.

There's a clump of nettles down near the bottom of the garden (no fence), and I found this animal 'deposit', I'm thinking either badger or fox perhaps? It looks slimy.

Don't want to disturb any wildlife, so just want to ID what animal is visiting me.

Here's the photo, Sorry it's gross.

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,184
    edited June 2019
    Don't think that's animal poo @pysces83, there is a gunky algae? lichen? not sure but it appears on hard standing after lots of rain. Dries up in the sun to a crisp brown mess.

Someone with more knowledge might be able to confirm and/or give you more details.

Edited to add:  OK, so I finally found the thread from several years ago and my thought is that it is nostoc algae. Maybe google and see if you agree?
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 601
    I think its nostoc commune, a cyanobacterium.  Apparently edible...not tried it myself! 
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 833
    Helix said:
    I think its nostoc commune, a cyanobacterium.  Apparently edible...not tried it myself! 
    I'll give that one a miss I think. 
  • pysces83pysces83 Posts: 2
    Ah, ok   :blush: stupid me.

Thanks very much for your help everyone :)
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,184
    Totally not stupid @pysces83, it had me flummoxed when I first came across it and it was out in the open - shades of Jurassic Park!

As I discovered, if you don't ask you never find out  :)
  • NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057
    Don't know what it's call but we have two patches on our front path.