Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bee hotel

I have just bought a bee hotel , have many of you got one and do they check in ?
Ilona

• Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 1,700
    @llona.S.  I have one,but so far nothing. I was hoping the Leaf Cutter Bees would use it,as they struggled to find places last year.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • GaryRGaryR Posts: 32
    I have 4 or 5 different ones and they are all in use. I've put them in different aspects of the garden and at various heights all easy to see for passing bees and bugs.
  • MissMMissM Posts: 29
    Spotted a waspy thing looking at mine... nothing checked in yet but early days for mine too
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 6,188
    It look a good few years before bees became interested in my drilled logs but the holes are mostly full now and plugged with mud. I never had any success with bamboo.
    Bee (or wasp) taking a look!
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Honey bee I think. I've got 3 hotels up got nothing yet 
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    I have one blocked up hole. Looks promising 😀.
    SW Scotland
  • Thanks @Fairygirl for suggesting this.  I have had a bee hotel for 2 or 3 years, with not a single guest bee in all that time.  This year we lowered the hotel further down the wall, so approx 5 - 6 foot from the ground and now we have guests.  We are assuming they are leaf cutter bees as the holes are bunged with leaves.  What happens next - have eggs been laid in the tubes and will they find their way out next Spring?My husband was so excited to see the bees so he has made a second hotel from some old wood and placed it near by.
    Mine went up earlier this year slung over the fence post so luckily at the right height! Today there are several holes filled with leaf doors, and a couple with mud. And someone was investigating... it is exciting!

• That is a smart hotel @MissM - no wonder you have guests staying in it.