Forum home Fruit & veg

Gibberellic acid for germination and growth,fast fruiting

Anybody that has experience using Gibberellic acid for germination,plant growth or fast fruiting,seedless fruits,etc,please share.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,806
    I’ve never heard of it.

It sounds like something that is still being studied by scientists and its exact method of governing plant growth is not yet completely understood. 

However, it does have an undeniable part to play in seed germination, plant growth and flower production.

As such, it is perhaps wise to use some caution in employing it. Particularly as it has been proved to have “alarming toxicity” in laboratory rats and mice. Poor things.

I’m not saying that just because it is harmful to rodents it would automatically be harmful to humans, but we are all mammals and we all have livers, kidneys, spleens, brains and breasts.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 1,506
    My only experience is from biology labs at uni many decades ago. Other than that it is a natural plant hormone which we have all been exposed to throughout our life through eating plants.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,806
    True, but in plants that we eat it occurs in minute quantities, it isn’t applied directly to the food we prepare in the kitchen, for example. You don’t have a salt, pepper and gibberelic acid set on the table.

We breathe in dust every day in minute quantities. Sometimes that dust might contain things like naturally occurring asbestos. A tiny amount inhaled in the breeze has no effect on the lungs. It’s only when industrial sized, artificially produced amounts are inhaled that we get asbestosis.

All I’m saying is, we should be careful what we wish for.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 30,212
    Morning James. Welcome to the forum. When I was studying 50 years ago we used gibberellic acid in the lab to get potatoes to sprit. It begs the question nowadays 'Why?' as they are perfectly capable of doing this without any assistance. That is my sum experience of it
    I do use an organic rooting powder nowadays for some (not all) cuttings but the canny producers fail to list the ingredients whilst stating they are from plants. I would not want to use gibberellic acid these days.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable