Privet hedge

BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 838
First I want to stress that there are no birds nesting in this short hedge. 

So, hubby was going to trim the hedge back like the neighbours all around our cul de sac do at this time of year. There seems to be no laws dictating when you can or can't trim them like thwew are in the UK.

But.. I noticed it was about to flower so convinced him to wait until after that. Glad I did because I went out there this morning and there were 6 butterflies and countless bees on it.

• No flowers on our privet hedges yet, but when they do come they are a magnet for bees/butterflies etc.  Our privet hedge  grows densely and there are usually birds using it for nests.  Well done for persuading your husband to hold back with the cutters.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 838
    I've seen a lot more bees, hoverflies and wildlife in general this year. Not sure if this is a general thing or because I have concentrated on being more wildlife friendly with the flowers and the circle of grass uncut. Hope so. 
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 1,034
    I hate privet. Never again.
    Orchidia said:
    I hate privet. Never again.
    This was already in there when we moved in, it's right next to the pavement and would be a hell of a job to get out. As it's only a short hedge, about 10 ft it's not much work tbh, twice a year give it a trim. And it is on keeping with other houses here so would look weird if we changed it. 
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 1,034
    Yes, me too. My last house had a 2.5m privet around all 3 sides of the property. It was an absolute PITA.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,578
    I love privet when it’s allowed to bloom ... the scent is heavenly and reminds me of summers in Brittany ... bliss 🥰
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,529
    I love privet hedges  <3
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • I don't like our privet hedge either Orchidia.  When we moved in here 40 years ago we had two long strips of it it along the edges of our garden.  Some died of Honey Fungus, and we removed the other completely - planted Escallonia which also died off and now we have shrubs on one side of the garden and the rest of the privet on the other side is dying off too.  It is dull and boring until it flowers when it comes alive.  The birds like the denseness of the privet for making their nests in.
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 630
    I'm a big fan of privet for boundaries. It's virtually perfect for the job  
    So, mixed opinions on privet lol. Variety is the spice of life and all that.