Edelweiss

Has anyone grown this delicate plant and just how hardy is it - label says perennial, where should I position it?

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 970
    Mine’s in a pot filled with gritty compost. Over winter, protecting it from the damp rather than the cold, I move it to the cold frame. It seems chirpy enough.
  • OmoriOmori Posts: 191
    Full sun and light soil with excellent drainage.  It is used to the arid conditions on top of mountains.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,601
    When I saw it growing wild in the French Alps, it was on open sunlit mountainsides.  I should imagine it needs treating like any other alpine.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,660
    I had one here on my rockery for several years, at 1300ft up in the Pennines and it is  fully hardy. It has to be to survive winter in the Swiss Alps!
    It got a fair amount of sun, but our summers are probably cooler than yours and I am not sure how much it would tolerate prolonged heat.

• Heat - what is that Buttercupdays - a seriously cool June here so far, although we have had our moments of pure sunshine and warmth this year too.

Yes, I had gathered that the Edelweiss may need some gravel or grit in the planting hole having seen them growing in the Alps, such lovely low growing plants with white flowers, although I have now planted it in our border which should receive full sun on a sunny day, we don't have a rockery as such, do you think I should move it?  The soil is heavy, so I am hoping the addition of the grit will help it to survive.  The plant had been in a 5 inch pot for the past year, and on inspection was growing in a peat mix.  Thanks for all the helpful advice.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 601
    We have never succeeded with it, which I think is down to not keeping it dry enough in winter.  Alpines bake in very hot sun all summer, and then very cold and dry winters.  Mediocre summers and damp winters are not its favorite.   More grit needed bu the sound of it!