Terrace garden or jungle?

JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 342
my neighbor just commented that my terrace looks like a jungle, I don’t think she meant it as a compliment. I know there is a lot of plants but does it really look like a jungle? What do you think?

• edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 514
    In a good sense (a lot of greenery and colour)? Yes. In a bad sense (overgrown mess)? No.
    It looks lovely and I bet it gives you a huge amount of joy. Maybe it was meant as a compliment. If not, some people just don't like plants. Or other people.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,565
    I think your garden looks gorgeous ... don’t let your neighbour undermine your confidence in your own style and what you’re doing ... some people prefer ‘neat and tidy’ like this https://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profile?pid=640   ... I don’t 😔 

I prefer the ‘slightly unkempt wilderness’ look myself ... but then I’m a country girl who grew up playing in woodlands and hedgerows and that’s the look I aim for with the addition of a bit more colour than most wild hedgerows have. 

You have the sort of garden you and I like ... enjoy it. 👍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 342
    Lol Dove I think they would hate the tidy garden too... they are more into bear concrete like me they have 60 square meters to play with and they only have a very sorry looking potted palm and the wooden planters filled with cigarette ends! Oh and a plethora of weeds which keep trying to invade my side of the partition. 

I guess i dont doo the less is more philosophy.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,574
    It looks fantastic to me. 
    Like Dove said, a lot of people like neat and tidy (or in my book, control-freakery), as in individual plants or containers with loads of space around each one so they can see everything at once and be sure that nothing has snuck in without permission. Goodness knows what they'd make of my garden :o.
    Show them this 

http://www.alternativeeden.com/2015/08/will-giles-exotic-garden-norwich.html?m=1

and tell them that’s the look you’re going for 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 11,400
    edited June 2019
    I love it. Take 'jungle' as a compliment whether it was meant that way or not. We often see posts from members who would like to have what you've achieved.

I almost used the like button😉
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057
    I think it's lovely and if you like it ignore them they are most likely jealous or upset they can't see what's going on in your garden.
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 342
    Oh wow. I could just imagine myself emersed in all that green. I think next door would have a fit.
    Go on ... I dare you 😉. ... it’s good to have something to aim for 😇 

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,120
    Take no notice Jacqui, it looks bloomin' marvellous. 
    😍 🌺🌹🌿🌻🌸🌱🌼🌷 😊

It's clear from your photos how much time, care and effort you put into growing and maintaining all those lovely, healthy plants. Honestly, compared to parts of my garden your terrace is immaculately tidy, and looks a looks a wonderful space to sit out, relax and enjoy the fruits of your labour.

Keep up the good work. 👍😀