Forum home Fruit & veg

is it too late to plant courgettes from seed?

TraTra Posts: 38

Hello,

I  was wondering if it's too late to plant courgettes from seed?

I am based in the South West...my seed packets say May but do you think I could get away with planting now mid June?......

• B3B3 Posts: 15,494
    You've got the seeds. You might as well give it a go.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,207
    I sowed mine last week, late yes, but not TOO late,it's still only June
    Devon.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    I never sow mine to June @Tra in fact I did mine this morning (Midnight F1 Hybrid)
    just four seeds two each in a four inch pot they will stay in the polly tunnel now and once germinated I will remove the weakest grow on and plant out in a few weeks

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,635
    As always, it depends on the weather and where you are - given a good summer and Autumn, you will hopefully be fed up of picking your courgettes by November :)
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,207
    Yesterday I had one germinate, another this morning which had been nibbled, just been up and another  4 have germinated since lunchtime.
    Devon.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,635
    I've been lucky - I'll be picking 1 courgette tomorrow.  Toms are a different matter entirely :/ Rubbish weather.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,875
    As folk say, you have the seeds you may as well give them a go, maybe a warm window sill, get them going quickly.  I have a courgette, on one plant, but I do sow seeds early, and a few tomatoes, (no, not ripe!!)