Forum home Problem solving

Black Spots

How can I deal with black spots that have appeared on clematis leaves. Thank you.

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    Hello valerie and welcome to the forum  :)
    What type of "black spots", do you have a photo?

It could be blackfly aphids which are easily wiped off by hand or washed off with a blast from a hosepipe.
    Could be a fungal infection, or simply a climate related change in leaf colour.

All speculation and guesswork based on common problems. Post a pic and we can see what's going on properly for best advice.
  • Valerie78Valerie78 Posts: 3
    Hi Kitty2
    Sorry not able to upload photo. Not aphid but looks like fungal infection to me, getting more like blotches than spots now. what is your advice for this. Thanks.
    I'm hesitant to offer advice for an unseen problem Valerie. Giving the wrong treatment advice could cause more harm than good.

Have you tried looking at any online images to find a match to your spots?
    Another possibility is sooty mould.? Are there any aphids at all on the plant, either black or green?

• Valerie78Valerie78 Posts: 3
    Hi Kitty.
    There are no aphids or sooty mould. I have not been able to find any other markings
    like mine as yet online. Maybe if I contact Taylors Clematis or Thorneycroft they be may be able to advise me. Thank you for your help.
    Good luck Valerie. Sorry I couldn't solve it but I hope the experts can come up with a solution to your problem.  :)